No Progress!

I have made a start on my Green Man weaving, but other than the bottom inch or so there has been no real progress. I have also woven the first inch of the face image using the same two shades of green and the light brown wool that I used for the Earth Spiral and which I have pictured here.

Green and brown wool

Unfortunately, while this combination worked well for the spiral it doesn’t seem to be working for the Green Man, the colours are too closely related and too dull and the mid green is rather too brown. So I have decided to undo the bit I have done and start again with some different greens pictured below:

More green wool

For the third shade I may use the brown wool, or possibly the mid greeny-brown wool in the first picture, whichever works best. This should result, I hope, in the face looking lighter and more defined. As I wrote in my last post this is the most complicated thing I have tackled so far. It is going to be very fiddly and there will be a lot of trial and error, but at least I have learned enough from the bit I have done (and am about to undo) to give me the confidence that I will be able to complete the piece.

Progress will continue to be slow for a while as October is going to be a very busy month with lots of other things going on and I don’t anticipate having much time for weaving. My major occupation for the month is the editing of a magazine I produce for an international sailing boat ‘Owner’s Association.’ We shall be away for much of November and I hope to take the weaving with me to work on in spare moments. Before we go I hope to have done enough to at least check that I have finally found a working colour combination. If I have managed to do any significant amount before we go away I shall report again, otherwise watch for my next report in late November!

Decision

Green Man PlaqueI  have finally come to a decision about what I am going to do on the reverse of the ‘Earth Spiral’ on my small frame loom. I have been looking into weaving something on a similar theme and have decided to have a go at a ‘Green Man’ face.

I have spent some time searching for a suitable design on which to base my weaving and have settled on this photo of the ‘Green Man’ plaque that I have on the back wall of my house; this being the nearest that I have come up with to my idea of what it should look like.

I don’t expect to complete this project very quickly as it will be the most complex weaving that I have attempted so far and I have to admit to being somewhat ‘chicken’ about even starting it, but I have now set up the frame loom ready to start so have no more excuses not to get on with it. The plan is to create a similar blended background and use more-or-less the same colour scheme as the ‘Earth Spiral’ and, like it, the finished piece should be about 8 ins square.

I had also hoped to have sorted out the warp on my ‘Big Beastie’ floor loom by now but unfortunately I can’t actually get at it to work on it at the moment as it is surrounded by bicycles, waiting for the new shed my husband is planning for them (he and my youngest son are preparing the base at the bottom of the garden as I write). I could move them somewhere else but then they would probably be in the way and need to be moved yet again so I guess I’ll just leave them where they are for another few weeks  – and get on with the Green Man. As I haven’t yet decided what I am going to do on the floor loom there is no real hurry to get the warping done and it isn’t as if I have nothing to get on with, if only I could stop procrastinating, gather my courage and go for it!