As I wrote in my previous post, I had decided that I would weave a small Navajo motif for my demonstration day at the Tapestry Exhibition in Nuneaton. So I warped up my small frame loom with a sett of 8 epi and took it with me on holiday (which is where I have been for the last couple of weeks), along with everything I would need to make a start. The colour scheme was decided to make use of rug wool that I had in stock. I had only intended to do just enough to get it going, however I got a bit carried away as you can see here:
I only worked a very small amount each day but having got this far, with fingers intching to continue and another week of my holiday still to go, I decided I might as well finish it. So now I will have to come up with another design to work on my demo day at the Nuneaton Gallery. Here is the finished piece before being removed from the loom. It measures 8 ins x 9.5 ins:
The intention with this piece was that it should be fairly simple so that I could talk while working and also I could use it to show how tapestry is built up in sections. I would now like to design something else that will fulfil the same criteria to weave at the exhibition. I have one or two ideas I am playing with, but I only have a few days in which to make the final decision. For now I will cut off the Navajo piece and prepare to re-warp the frame loom.
If you are in the area on Tuesday next, 1st July, and can get along to the Riversley Gallery in Nuneaton, Warwickshire I shall be there from about 10.30 am until 4.00 pm and would love to see you.
The Tapestry Exhibition at Nuneaton has now been going for a couple of weeks and yesterday I visited it for the first time since delivering the work.
Four of the six of us went along for the day to make ourselves available to talk to people visiting the exhibition and answer any question they may have about our own work or about tapestry weaving in general. In the photo Maralyn Hepworth has just finished setting up a floor loom with a chunky warp so that visitors could ‘have a go’. She also took along a basket full of colourful chunky yarn and we were on hand to help and advise the many adults and children who gave it a try, selecting their yarn colour and adding to the design. By the end of the day it had progressed well and was looking very striking. The loom will be left at the gallery so that visitors on other days can also play around with it.
On arriving at the gallery I was a little disappointed to note that the cards I had made were not on sale although those produced by the other weavers were. On enquiring I was told that it was because there were no descriptive labels attached to say what and whose work they were and that they needed to talk to me about labeling them. I had stuck labels on the backs of the cards but due to to the way I had placed them in the cellophane packets these were not visible. This was the first time I had ever prepared cards for sale and I obviously hadn’t given it enough thought. I had to carefully peel the packages open and place the envelopes inside the cards so that the labels on the backs of the cards were visible through the cellophane. I shall know better next time! I am pleased to say that by the end of the day they were on sale alongside those of the other weavers.
I took several photos of the exhibition but unfortunately most of them were not very good, all being a bit dark. Here is one of two of my pieces alongside two by Jane Freear-Wyld. Next time I go along, which will be on my demonstration day on July 1st, I will endeavour to take some better photos and share them with you.
Overall this was a most enjoyable day with a very satisfying number of people passing through the exhibition, talking to us and having a go on the loom.
Now the work for the exhibition is finished I am ready to plan what to do next and long to get something going on at least one of my looms. Seeing the work of my fellow exhibitors is most inspirational. I have also been planning what to weave on my small frame loom on my demonstration day and have today strung the warp onto the loom in preparation. I have elected to do a Navajo style motif. This geometric design will hopefully be, like my exhibition pieces, ‘simple but effective’, allowing me to weave and talk to people without losing my place or making too many mistakes – at least that is the theory!